Ashlie Rockwood is our advisor at Nathanael Green Middle School in Providence. Born in Boston, she graduated from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 2018 with a Bachelor of Science in public health and a minor in education. She moved to Providence and, before joining the Onward We Learn, worked as a counselor for the Girls Empowerment and Mentoring Support Program conducted by the Rhode Island Department of Health.
1. When it’s safe to travel again, what’s your bucket list destination?
I actually have one of my bucket list destinations booked already – Alaska for 10 days in August! Nature adventures over big city trips have taken over my bucket list.
2. What is one thing most people might not know about you?
I’ve taught a sexual health education class the last two summers to middle school girls in Providence. The MS team actually helped me develop my class name this summer. It was called “OK Bloomer.”
3. What’s the best advice you ever received?
Invest in experiences over material possessions. Experiences are fleeting, which is a good thing because we don’t have the chance to get used to them. Humans are conditioned to get used to things and that’s why happiness for material possessions fade.
4. What is your favorite food or meal?
Literally anything buffalo chicken. I love it in all its forms – dip, wings, subs, calzones, pizza, literally anything. Also, NO blue cheese, only ranch. When I go to a restaurant, I often have to force myself to expand my horizons and not just order buffalo chicken like I always do.
5. What do you like doing outside of work hours? Any hobbies?
I love exploring new breweries; preferably dog friendly ones so my dog Hershey can come along. I used to work at a brewery in Western Mass in college, which started my love of beer. I’ve since visited breweries in every New England state! I love getting new apparel or brewery stickers from places I really enjoy to remember the experience.
6. If you had to delete all but three apps from your phone, which ones would you keep?
- Google maps, obviously. Only way to navigate to new breweries.
- Instagram since it’s like Snapchat, TikTok, and Facebook all in one.
- Venmo; your girl needs to get paid for dog walking.
7. What is your favorite time of day and why?
I would say sunset because after the time change for spring, I can see the sunset right from my porch every day. I also feel like once the sun goes down, it’s time to fully relax. Daylight makes me feel the pressure to be productive.
8. If you could time travel, would you go back in time or into the future? Any specific point in time you’d like to explore?
Probably back in time because I am too cynical about what climate change will do to our future. Most likely the 1980s because my mom got me to love the style and music.
9. What fictional family would you like to be a member of and why?
The Addams Family, The Munsters, The Cromwells from Halloweentown – honestly, any family in a world with spooky, Halloween-type vibes. It was legit my childhood dream to live in a fantasy world with witches and mystical creatures where it was Halloween all the time.
10. What music is your usual soundtrack?
Anything early 2000s. Basically the music I grew up with as a child. Britney, Green Day, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Bon Jovi, Destiny’s Child. I feel old because I get stressed trying to keep up with all the new music coming out these days.